This is my first ever attempt at washing wool, so this little photo album is not intended to impart years of wisdom; rather, I hope to inspire anyone who might be considering this by showing how anyone can blunder through the process and end up with something useable. If anyone has anything to add, please feel free to start a conversation!
So, let’s get started.
First, I filled the tub with hot soapy water. I used my regular dish soap. Note the rubber gloves ready to go, and how filthy dirty the fleece is.
When the water was about 6 or more inches deep, I started putting the fleece in by handfuls. I picked out bits of poo and hay as I went along. I also should have trimmed out a bit more of the stiff little ends, but it worked out for me to get most of it afterwards. Still, it would have been easier if I had done it first.
I made sure the wool was all thoroughly soaked by gently pressing it under the water. You can’t agitate it or you’ll end up with felt! Careful.
After soaking for 40 or so minutes, the water was filthy.
I drained the water and added new soapy water. Here you can see that the wool is much whiter in parts. I pushed it all back to the back of the tub in order to allow the dirty water to drain out of it. When the soapy water was filled up again, I spread it out in the tub very gently (no felting!) so it could soak up the soap. In all, I did 3 soapy soaks and 1 rinsing soak with just hot water.
During the rinse stage, I realized that a bunch of the little bits were not going to come clean and started picking them out with scissors. Next time, I’ll do this before washing.
After draining the rinse water, I put a little step stool in the tub so the wool would be elevated above the tub floor. This allowed it to drip dry for awhile. I did a bit of squeezing too, but wool has a HUGE capacity to retain moisture. So I thought I’d just let it sit for a bit. Like, hours. I didn’t exactly keep track of time.
Then I laid 2 towels on the floor and spread the wool on top.
Added another towel and walked over it to squeeze out more moisture.
Found that wasn’t working super great so I rolled up the towels….
And again used body weight plus the added pressure of being rolled up. That helped get a lot of the moisture out, but it was still damp.
I placed a fresh dry towel on the floor and laid out the wool to air dry overnight.
The next morning, I put it out on the picnic table to take advantage of sun and wind. It dried very well.
Thus ends Part I of my wool adventures. Thank you to everyone who gave advice along the way – Michelle and Erin particularly!!
Stay tuned for adventures in carding…..